My friend has a cherry tree in her yard and invited me over to pick cherries. fresh. organic. could not resist. and so I made a pie….
The Cherry Pie Recipe using Fresh Cherries
- Recipe for a 9″ Flaky Double Crust Pie (The Best Pie Crust Recipemakes four crusts. Divide in half or make 2 Cherry Pies!)
- 4 1/4 cups fresh cherries, pitted with stems removed
- 1 1/4 cup sugar, more if cherries a very tart
- 1/2 cup flour or 4 Tablespoons tapioca pearls or quick cooking tapioca
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of either vanilla or almond extract
- 2 Tablespoons butter, cut in small pieces
- 1 Tablespoon milk or cream for brushing the top
- 1 Tablespoon sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Roll out the pie crust bottom and tops according to directions leaving enough overhang to fold and flute. Drape the bottom pie crust evenly in a 9″ pie pan or ceramic pie dish and set aside. Fold the top crust in half and place a towel over it so it doesn’t dry out.
- In a large bowl, gently fold together pitted cherries, sugar, tapioca or flour, cinnamon and vanilla or almond extract.
- Pour into pie crust and dot with butter.
- Unfold the top crust and place over the top of the cherry mixture. Fold the edges of the top crust over and under the bottom edges and flute according to your own preferences. You can also use a fork to press the crusts together or make a lattice top.
- Brush the top of the pie with milk or cream and sprinkle with sugar.
- Cut 5-6 small vent holes in the top crust.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake at 400 for 50-60 minutes or until top is golden brown and cherries are bubbling up. If the edges start to burn or brown faster, ring the edges with a piece of aluminum foil.
- Cherry Pie cuts better with cleaner edges if it is allowed to cool completely, but it can be eaten warm too.
- Cherry Pie à la mode! Top with your favorite ice cream or fresh sweetened whipped cream.
- Refrigerate any leftovers.