and it was a blast! Here are some pics:
and…I made jam!
Wanna try it? I did the freezer container method, which isn’t as cool as the jarring method, but it’s quicker and easier and you need less equipment.
a large saucepan (recommend no stick)
a box of pectin
3 cups of sugar
4 cups of crushed strawberries
Enough plastic freezer containers for 6 cups of jam
1. Wash and rinse plastic freezer containers (use 1-2 cup size)
2. wash and hull strawberries. use a potato masher to crush (you can use a food processor, but remember to not puree – you want a few chunks in there!)
3. measure exactly 4 cups of crushed strawberries and pour into bowl
4. measure exactly 3 cups of sugar into saucepan
5. stir in box of pectin into sugar
6. stir 1 cup of water into sugar/pectin mixture. Bring mixture to boil. Boil and stir 1 minute.
7. stir strawberry mixture into sugar mixture quickly and stir 1 more minute, until thoroughly mixed
8. pour nto containers. cover. let stand at room temperature for 24 hours until set.
refrigerate up to 3 weeks, freeze up to one year. Thaw in refrigerator.
*taken from the sure*jell pectin box. 😀
…..I’m about to bake some bread (in my bread maker) so we can have jam and bread – all fresh – for a mid afternoon snack today (I jammed yesterday).